The site is an interesting concept and it is always easier to critique, however I had some issues and possibly a different opinion to some of the feedback. I think the site is more excited about the conceptual format, and it is a good concept, than the execution of it’s content and context. I explored a selection of links that I either have an interest in and have some knowledge of, as well as the two set texts. Generic to all that I examined I found that often the blue links to be followed were often not relevant or intelligent to the context they were applied to ( a question is; do the authors link the words or is it automatic within the site?) In the two simulation/simulacrum texts I found both to have a paucity of references especially compared to other entries and neither used any references that were contemporary so for me the academic content did not surprise or inform could be compared to one of Wikipedia’s better pages. Comparing the two entries S/S (1) Devin Sandoz used his references to only to paraphrase and did not contextualise to contemporary media. I felt the essay had a poor construction and I need to go to the conclusion to understand his discourse. S/S (2) for me had more clarity and more considered own thinking, also more references and annotated notes, the style however was more journalistic than academic. She did attempt to contextualise more of the material but again could have cited more examples and then discussed them in relation to the theory. Neither discussed the theory in terms of the full range of contemporary media art work or original thought. What was interesting about the site is that like wikipedia it appears to be self regulated and there was not a consistent level of understanding or research across any of the keyword entries. So as an information or research interface it would be a lucky dip.
- 2011/12 edition
- art practice as research
- art research essays 2007-2011
- #106 (no title)
- Barbara Hammer: tender fictions
- The Marco Polo Syndrome
- World as Archive
- Globalisation as universal Art
- Travelling Images: Memory, Time and the Analogue Media Experience.
- Indian Arts on Film
- My approach to documentary making
- Project CrashBack – in The Everyday
- writing about the research dimension of artistic practice
- new journal “Sensate”
- Globalisation as Artist Theory
- essay map: next deadline is january 11 2012
- Artist redefined
- Transexperience and Artist’s life
- Can artist be theorist? (Week 4- Artist as Theorist)
- An error has occurred; the feed is probably down. Try again later.